Once installed, your computer will become a fully functional multimedia jukebox. More than 50 software developers have contributed to Kodi, and 100-plus translators have worked to expand its reach, making it available in more than 30 languages. It uses a 10-foot user interface designed to be a media player for the living-room, using a remote control as the primary input device. Its graphical user interface (GUI) allows the user to easily browse and view videos, photos, podcasts, and music from a harddrive, optical disc, local network, and the internet using only a few buttons. Kodi is fully Open-Source and released under the GPLv2.0+ license. It includes many third-party libraries which use compatible licenses. Due to the inclusion of some GPLv3.0 libraries the entire application becomes GPLv3.0 as binary.
Notable changes in Kodi 17.0:
- Added enhancement/improvements to PVR addon API (connection state change handling, asynchronous updates & more)
- Added support for navigation controls between EDL (commercial skipping) during PVR recodings playback
- Added support for sorting channels by ‘last played’ in the Channels window
- Added a new API level system to binary addons, refactoring the binary addon library interface for Kodi
- Added a new input system with an API for keyboard and game controllers as “Peripheral Addons”
- Added a new default skin called Estuary, with themes & colors, (moving Confluence to addon repo)
- Added initial support for Audio DSP (Digital Signal Processing) plugins and addons for Kodi’s AudioEngine
- Improved the default cross-platform event driven active state machine pattern ActiveAE (Kodi’s AudioEngine)
- Added new CMake based build system of Kodi and binary addons for Linux.
- Added multi-architecture/distribution support to Kodi’s CMake build system for Linux
- Added support for HEVC Main 10 profile (10-bit) hardware video decoding via VAAPI if hardware support it
- Added support for VP9 hardware video acceleration via VAAPI if supported by display drivers
- Added support for EGL for X11 (which adds zero copy rendering for VAAPI)
- Added support for Clang compiler building of Kodi
- Added warning that GNU Build System (Autotools) will be removed soon as deprecated
- Improved multi-touch support, and improved touch and gesture support on Linux
- Improved support for UltraHD decoding / 4K resolution output when hardware supports it
- Improved VAAPI (Video Acceleration API) support (requires VAAPI compatible hardware and drivers)
- Improved VDPAU (NVIDIA) Hardware Video Acceleration (requires VDPAU compatible hardware and drivers)
- Improved XvBA (AMD/ATI) Hardware Video Acceleration (requires XvBA compatible hardware and drivers)
- Improved dedicated AMLCodec hardware accelerated video decoding support for Linux on Amlogic devices
- Improved AMD/Intel x86-64 64-bit (AMD64 / IA-64t CPU architectures) support under Linux
- Removed Wayland display server protocol support (as depended heavily on removed Boost C++ libraries)
- Removed all Boost (C++ libraries) and libsquish as dependencies
- And many more fixes & changes.
How to Install Kodi 17 Krypton:
Kodi 17 Available for Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety/16.04 Xenial/14.04 Trusty/Linux Mint 18/17/other related Ubuntu derivatives, Kodi 14.2 Helix is available for Ubuntu 12.04 Precise/Linux Mint 13
To install Kodi 17 in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:
Addons (such as PVR) available for Kodi, use package name with sudo apt-get install command to install addon.
|PVR Package Name||Description|
|kodi-pvr-dev||Kodi Media Center (PVR Add-on Dev package)|
|kodi-pvr-argustv||Kodi PVR Addon Argustv|
|kodi-pvr-demo||Kodi PVR Demo Addon|
|kodi-pvr-dvbviewer||Kodi PVR Addon Dvbviewer|
|kodi-pvr-iptvsimple||Kodi PVR Iptv Addon|
|kodi-pvr-mediaportal-tvserver||Kodi PVR Addon Mediaportal Tvserver|
|kodi-pvr-mythtv||Kodi PVR Addon MythTv – Cmyth|
|kodi-pvr-nextpvr||Kodi PVR Addon NextPvr|
|kodi-pvr-njoy||Kodi PVR Addon Njoy|
|kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts||Kodi PVR Addon TvHeadend Hts|
|kodi-pvr-vdr-vnsi||Kodi PVR Addon VDR Vnsi|
|kodi-pvr-vuplus||Kodi PVR Addon Vuplus|
|kodi-pvr-vbox||VBox Home TV Gateway PVR client|
|shairplay||Free portable AirPlay server implementation|
Kodi is also available for Android.
What do you say about this great release?