According to urban dictionary, “hipsters” are men and women in their 20s and 30s who value counter-culture, independent thinking, progressive politics, and independant art. Hipsters are also known for this distinct fashion tastes, often centered on the idea of making old or vintage items new or useful again. If you want to be a hipster girl, you will first need to dress the part with hipster style clothing and accessories. You will then need to adopt the attitude and beliefs of hipsters, and have a good understanding of hipster culture.
EditDressing Like a Hipster Girl
- Shop at secondhand stores and independent shops. Rather than conform to the norm of shopping for new, full price items at big box stores or the mall, head to your local thrift store for secondhand clothing. Most hipsters do not have a lot of extra cash for clothing and often shop at charity stores to save money and find unique items no one else will have.
- You can also go to independent clothing shops in your area to support local businesses and vendors. Hipsters value independent thinking and independent business, so supporting local clothing stores is one way to give back to the community and avoid corporations and big business.
- Look for vintage dresses and band t-shirts. Many hipster girls wear vintage dresses in floral patterns or other bold prints with black or colored tights. Look for long floral dresses and shorter print dresses or shift dresses that you can pair with tights or knee socks for cold winter days. You can then wear the same dresses with bare legs and sandals in the summer.
- Vintage band t-shirts are also popular with hipster girls, especially shirts that feature bands from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, like the Rolling Stones, Cream, Blondie, and The Cure. Look for vintage band t-shirts at your local thrift store. You can also find band shirts online through online vendors who specialize in vintage band t-shirts.
- Buy jean cut offs or make your own cut offs. Many hipster girls will wear jean cut offs during the warmer months with a band t-shirt or a crop top. You can buy jean cut offs at a local shop or thrift store, or make your own cut offs by cutting up a pair of old jeans.
- The typical hipster cut off style for girls is at the mid to upper thigh. You can get a more tomboy look by wearing cut offs that are just above your knee.
- In the colder months, you can wear tights underneath a pair of cut offs for a look that is comfortable and warm.
- Combine skinny jeans with oversized plaid shirts and sweaters. A typical everyday outfit for hipster girls is a pair of blue or black skinny jeans worn with an oversized plaid shirt or sweater.
- You can find vintage plaid shirts and sweaters at your local thrift store, often in fun and unique designs.Oversized plaid shirts can be found in the men’s section of thrift stores. You can also tie plaid shirts around your waist to really nail the hipster girl style.
- Look for sweaters that have funny, ironic sayings on them or cute images of animals. Ugly Christmas sweaters are also popular among hipsters, during Christmas and in the off season.
- Wear denim vests and leather jackets. The layering garment of choice for hipster girls is a slim denim vest, worn over a band t-shirt or a vintage dress. Top this look with a vintage leather jacket with interesting details like zippers, buttons, studs, or fringe.
- Many hipster girls also collect pins and wear them on the lapels of their coats, such as pins from bands or with ironic, funny sayings on them. You can also decorate your handbag with pins or your backpack with pins for a fun, hipster look.
- Go for vintage boots or oxfords. Look for vintage leather boots, short and high, at your local thrift store in black or brown. Short boots, or booties, are a popular look for hipster girls, usually worn with tights and a vintage dress. You can also look for vintage oxfords or loafers in brown or black leather.
- Some hipster girls favor comfort over appearance and will wear Converse sneakers or Vans sneakers with skinny jeans and a band t-shirt for a more casual look.
- Shop for long necklaces and unique accessories. Many hipster girls will wear long necklaces that sit a few inches above their waist line with a simple pendant or charm in geometric shapes. You can also look for necklaces with crystal pendants or unique designs at your local thrift store.
- Accessories like beanie hats and fedoras are popular among hipster girls, especially slouchy beanie hats. You can also dye your hair a bright color for a committed hipster look.
EditActing Like a Hipster Girl
- Read online blogs about pop culture and art. Hipsters are often very well read and well versed in current pop culture trends and influences, usually through online blogs and online media. Read up on what’s going on in the world of the internet, such as the latest memes, viral stories, and viral videos.
- There are certain websites known to be full of hipster information, such as Vice.com and Pitchfork.com. These sites provide up to the minute information on the latest trends and influences happening in pop culture.
- Hipsters are also often interested in the art world and contemporary art. Take a trip to your local museum and find artists you admire through online art blogs. Try to immerse yourself in the art world and expand your knowledge of contemporary art.
- Expand your knowledge of film, music, and television. Hipsters usually have extensive knowledge of film, music, and television, new and old. You can find out the latest, hottest shows for hipsters by asking hipster friends for recommendations or searching online blogs for the shows everyone is talking about. Hipsters also enjoy old films, specifically independent films by directors from America and Europe. Strike up a conversation with the clerk at your local video store, if it still exists, or go online and search the top American and European films.
- Search music blogs online for recommendations on hipster music and independent or alternative music. It may help to focus on a particular genre or style of music and a particular artist or group. Hipsters often listen to alternative and independent music, as well as rap, hip hop, soul, and progressive rock.
- Learn more about social and political movements in your area. Hipsters are often aware of the social and political issues of the day, and may be involved in protests or grassroots movements in their area. Think of a cause you feel passionate about or are interested in, and join in an online discussion about the issue or go to a protest organized in your area. Getting involved in social and political movements is part of the less superficial aspects of being hipster, where you are an informed and involved individual in society.
- Focus on ways to be sustainable and environmentally friendly. Many hipsters strive to live a sustainable and environmentally friendly lifestyle, as they believe in caring for the environment and being aware of the effects of climate change. This may mean recycling, composting, or donating old clothing to charity rather than throwing them away.
- You can also look at ways to cut down on the amount of greenhouse gases you produce by biking or walking to work instead of driving or taking the bus. Hipsters are known for their passion for biking, and you can join in this element of hipster culture by getting a bike and using it year round.
- Display confidence and independence around others. Hipsters are known for their unique sense of style and for having an independent streak in their approach to life. Confidence and independence are two key elements of acting like a hipster.
- This could mean being confident around others or confident in your abilities as an individual, as well as focusing on how you can live and work independently. You may decide to try to work for yourself or work flexible hours so you have more freedom and independence in your career. Or you may decide to be more independent and confident in your current work situation where you take more initiative and try to climb the career ladder.
- Be Indie/Hipster for Girls
- Be a Teenage Hipster
- Act Like a Hipster
- Dress Like a Hipster
- Be a Hipster in High School
- Be a Teenage Hipster(Girls)
- Be a Daring Girl
- Be Different in a Quirky Way
- Make High Waisted Shorts
EditSources and Citations
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
How to Be a Hipster Girl
Source: How To Of The Day